Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:00 am Post subject: Device Installation Restriction Policy
I have enabled the following:
allow administrators to override device installation
allow installation of devices that match these device IDs
prevent installation of devices not described by other policys
and indicated the authorised device in the policy but when the policy is applied any new removable device inserted in the computer is still opening can someone please indicate what I am doing wrong[/list]
Use the SHIFT key to suppress the autorun feature by pressing. This needs to be done while inserting a USB drive. Then, right click on the icon in Explorer and select Explore to access the contents of the drive. Mind that this is just a a one-time action.
NOTE : Never double-clicking your USB drive icon in Explorer.
Then go to Go to the Group Policy Editor to define user and computer configurations for groups of users and computers. Here's how you do that :
1. Open GPEditor via Start >> Run >> Enter gpedit.msc in the Run box.
2. Navigate to Computer Configuration – Administrative Templates ““ System.
3. Highlight System on the left hand pane. On the right hand pane, go down to the entry – Turn off Autoplay and double click on it.
4. Select the Enabled radio button, then for the Turn off Autoplay on dropdown, select All drives.
This should stop the pen drive from automatically playing the portable device.
Well, if you have good hands on Windows, you may even do that from the registry. Here's how to do that :-
- Launch the Registry Editor by typing regedit in the Run box (Start >> Run)
- On the left hand pane, keep expanding the entries by clicking on the + sign. Search for this entry ““ HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPoliciesExplorer
- For this registry entry, go to the right panel and double click the NoDriveTypeAutoRun registry key.
- Change the Value data to FF for Hexadecimal or 255 for Decimal value.
- Click OK to close the registry editor and Restart the computer.[/b]
Hmmm that's strangely interesting. No worries, can you please let us know the OS version you have ? should be helpful when digging deeper into the problem. Just trying to gather evidences as of now, can't tell you surely about the solution as of now. I was actually expecting the procedure as stated in my last reply to work.
Anyways, lets gather some info. first and then we can hit the issue.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum