• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Local Administrators

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejdrijin
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Local Administrators Reply with quote

I have 2 questions regarding local accounts:

1) I work in an environment were people are always needing to install new software and stuff so I made them Local Admins on their PCs. Is this dangerous and what problems can I have regarding security?

2) The Built-in Account: Administrator : is by default disabled. Should I enable this or should I create another account, for example 'admin' ?

Thanks very much.
Mr. B
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Local Administrators Reply with quote

ejdrijin wrote:
I have 2 questions regarding local accounts:

1) I work in an environment were people are always needing to install new software and stuff so I made them Local Admins on their PCs. Is this dangerous and what problems can I have regarding security?

2) The Built-in Account: Administrator : is by default disabled. Should I enable this or should I create another account, for example 'admin' ?

Thanks very much.

This could be a dangerous to the environment because harmful and unauthorized software could be installed. You should have dialog with the end user to make sure they aren't installing software that isn't authorized. Making them an admin is the only way they would be able to install software. If you are using windows 7 or 8 make sure UAC is turned on, at least he or she will get prompted if something tries to install.

Its entirely up to you if you want to create another admin account, but I am not sure why you would need to set up another admin account. If you know the password for the original admin account that is disabled, you should be fine. Are the machines part of any domain?
ThePsyko
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't enable the built-in Administrator account, but you should always have an account with administrator privileges on the box that the users can't access.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: