• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

VNC and Hotmail

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Exploits // System Weaknesses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TXLeXTC
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: VNC and Hotmail Reply with quote

I have an odd question.

Are there any (known) exploits or possibilities for a hotmail email to try and establish a VNC connection when a message is read?

My Inet blocking/filtering device blocked a VNC connection to my computer from an IP that resolved to hotmail. It was a VNC packet on port 80. I honestly cant remember if at the time of the attempt if I was in hotmail or not, but it is very possible.

Any thoughts on what this could be?
qqtortqq
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would depend on your security settings, I would guess. If you allow activex to run from hotmail, a malicious email could try to create an outbound connection somewhere. I don't know much about activex, if it has as rigourous security precautions as java, but from what I know it would be possible, even more so if you had VNC installed in a default location.
delete852
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone tried to VNC to your computer after you opened a message from hotmail?

That is possible, all t hey have to do is put in image in there, with a link.
Then on the webserver see who accessed the link and then have a script to automatically VNC to them.. Is that what you are talking about?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Exploits // System Weaknesses All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: