• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Cyber Defender Free 2.0

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Security Related Software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maulds
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Cyber Defender Free 2.0 Reply with quote

I use several different programs for the security of my computer. As a result of my tight budget, all of these programs are freeware. Now Cyber Defender has released a new internet security suite for free. I was wondering if anyone knew how good it is vs. the programs I currently have. I currently use AVG Free Anti-Virus and Free Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, Windows Defender, Ad-Aware SE Personal, Spybot S&D, and Zone Labs free edition of Zone Alarm as my firewall. My OS is Windows XP SP2, and I have 512 MB of RAM with 2 GB of my hard drive alloted for virtual memory and a 2 GHz processor. Should I just leave my system as is, or should I install Cyber Defender and uninstall some of my security programs, or should I just install it to complement my other security software?
SifuMike
Deceased
Deceased

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CyberDefender was recently removed for Rogue/Suspect" Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

See the Note here:
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#cybdef_note
Quote:
Note on CyberDefender: We originally listed CyberDefender on this page out of concerns that the vendor behind the product was the same company that previously released Spyblocs/eBlocs, an application with a bad history of aggressive, deceptive advertising and illegal force-installs. Although we found no major problems in our initial testing with CyberDefender beyond false positives that were quickly cleaned up, and while the vendor itself halted the sales of Spyblocs and vowed not to repeat the same mistakes with CyberDefender, we decided out of caution to impose a three month probation period before we would consider re-testing and, if warranted, de-listing the the product from the Rogue/Suspect list. During that three month probation period we monitored the behavior of the company. When we encountered a spurt of advertising for the product through adware, we refused to de-list the product and imposed a second three month probation period. At the end of the second three month probation period we re-tested CyberDefender, again finding no problems serious enough to justify listing the program on this page. As we have observed no advertising of the product through adware for many months, and as the program itself exhibits no problems serious enough to warrant listing on this page, we have decided to de-list CyberDefender from the Rogue/Suspect list and can no longer regard the program to be "rogue/suspect."
Note: same company as Spyblocs / eBlocs

[A: 12-27-05 / U: 7-8-06]

While no longer listed on the Rogue/Suspect list, I would not use it.

Quote:
I currently use AVG Free Anti-Virus and Free Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, Windows Defender, Ad-Aware SE Personal, Spybot S&D, and Zone Labs free edition of Zone Alarm as my firewall

IMHO, you have enough anti-malware programs installed.

If you decide you want another free anti-malware program, then download A-Squared Free, save it to the desktop.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Security Related Software All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: