• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Bootable image cd lets you surf net w/o harddrive

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Security Related Software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thewolf
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Bootable image cd lets you surf net w/o harddrive Reply with quote

Hi,

Has anyone heard of Qualystem Rescue?

http://www.qualystem.com/en/rescue.html

It is basically claimed to be a program that allows you to create a bootable image cd/dvd, that can be run in the event of system failure. But will also allow you to connect to and surf the internet without the use of your harddrive.

I was wondering if anyone has tried it and knows if once you create the image cd, can it then be used on any computer to surf the net? After you change the bios to boot to cd first, of course.

I would like to use this program over others like Knoppix for one because I am already familiar with my own operating system and two I don't think you can use many of the programs and anti-viruses for Windows on a Knoppix cd.

Thanks for any help.
thewolf
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mpkn3rd,

Thanks for the welcome.

I have heard of Bart PE, though i've never used it. Looks like a lot to go thru on that site and it seems a bit complex to set it up. Though i'm not a newbie to computers, I don't really consider myself an expert either.

Can you tell me If I did go with Bart PE over the program I suggested, could I install the follwing programs Ad-aware, Spybot, X-Cleaner, CWShredder, Pest Patrol, MS anti-spyware, A2, Ewido and a few other anti-malware programs on the disk, so I can scan other peoples computers for problems without having to install the programs on their harddrive?

Also I would like to be able to surf the internet from the cd on any computer that I choose (not just my own) w/o using the harddrive in any way. And be able to use my favorite programs on the disk like my favorite browser(s), anonymizer software and any other programs that I normally use to surf the net....Not sure if I would still need a firewall though.

Thanks again.
wybnormal
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart is not that hard to setup... mostly.. Mozilla was a pain. But the rest is cookie cutter. The docs on the site a good to get you a plain image with the basic tools in place. Ad-ware, Stinger and others.

MikeS

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Security Related Software All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: