• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Email Security for my small office

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Firewalls // Intrusion Detection - External Security

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zitaniston
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Email Security for my small office Reply with quote

Hello,
I have a small office with 35 employees and I am looking for my corporate email security. I have shortlisted some options for the same like watchguard www.watchguard.com/products/, sonicwall, cisco. I am not too sure about any of these. My preference would be an affordable one. Please suggest.[/url]
Fire Ant
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say corporate email security what do you actually mean? Have you defined your requirements?
For example:
Do you need encryption?
Do you need DLP?

I see you have drawn up a list of potential vendors, how did you arrive at that list? Maybe if you could be more specific rather than saying "are cisco any good at email security".

Having technology is a great idea but you also need to put in place some non-technical controls like a security policy and also speak to HR about how you handle violations and the like.

Fire Ant
ryansutton
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer outsourced filtering. Most of my smaller clients use Pure Mail (think Postini but smaller). One of the big advantages is that we only have to open our email server up to the outsourced companies IP range, hence reducing our internet facing server exposure. Also, if my Exchange server goes down, our clients can access their email VIA a web page until I am able to bring the server back up.

Just some random cool features since you are still in the looking around phase. Smile
jhonas
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey My personal view is to use a mail user agent that is normally incapable of rendering e-mails and showing everything as plain text . If the privacy of your data is important to you, use a local POP3 or IMAP client to retrieve e-mail.
PhiBer
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used both the Sonicwall spam filter and the Barracuda line of spam filters. In my opinion, Barracuda makes one of the best appliance's on the market. However, it will cost you more money (but money well spent in my opinion).

If you can spend the money (roughly $2,400), get a Barracuda 300. A Sonicwall ES 300 spam filter will cost you roughly $1,300-$1,400 and will do the job fine, but I prefer the Barracuda's UI, spam defense capability, and overall performance.

My one suggestion is not to get a software spam filter as it will clog up your mail server.
Jafer
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Spam filters for small businesses Reply with quote

I agree with RyanSutton, Barracuda does a great job filtering spam and I think they are priced well.

There are also lots of other very good solutions out there that I have worked with such as Clearswift (very granular, windows and applianced based), Websense (Very reputable, software, appliance or in the cloud service), Fortinet (Powerful appliances with great functionality expecially for the larger environments), also Sonicwall, Mcafee and Cisco do a good solution.

However it does depepnd on what is the right option for your environment. Hosted solutions have become very popular and so it's worth looking at the likes of services such as Symantec's Message Labs and Google Postini. It's also good to know how these filters are doing from the experts such as Gartner, ICSA Labs, VB100. Also to take into consideration what Fire Ant says regarding your corporate policies.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Firewalls // Intrusion Detection - External Security All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: