• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Router with DMZ

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Firewalls // Intrusion Detection - External Security

View previous topic :: View next topic  
incubusaurus
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Router with DMZ Reply with quote

Hi,

I occasionally have the need to set-up networks for small business that require a private LAN and a DMZ. The DMZ is usually used for a web server, or to provide guests (in pubs, bed and breakfasts, etc.) with wireless access to the Internet (usually via ADSL broadband), whilst keeping the private LAN separate and secure.

For my own network, I use Linux servers with multiple NICs and suitable firewall software, such as Shorewall. However, this is not really suitable for a small business that just need something quick and easy to install, and which is also inexpensive.

Is anyone able to recommend any suitable devices? I have used the Cisco ASA 5505 before, and quite like it, but even this is considered too expensive by some clients.

These are low-traffic networks, used for little more than two or three computers on the private LAN, and a simple wireless access point or web server in the DMZ. I've done some research on this before, but not really had much success. The term DMZ seems to be used in different ways by different manufacturers, and unfortunately the term is often used to describe port-forwarding to a single device on a router - this is not what I am looking for.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Firewalls // Intrusion Detection - External Security All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: