• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Download Question

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pak man
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Download Question Reply with quote

I have been having a problem with a downloaded program which the programs support site indicated that I need to re-download the program with my computer security turned off. I hesitate to do this because the program is very large and I only have a dial up connection which would take 4 hours to complete the download. I don't want to leave the computer unprotected for such a long time period. Since most intrusions are thru the specific browser used (I use Firefox), would shutting down the browser during the long download period minimize the security problem caused by shutting down my anti-virus and firewall?
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer: no, it would not.

You should definitely not disable your computer's firewall unless you have a hardware firewall in front of it (home router) or you know what you are doing and are certain that you have properly configured/disabled any system services that might be listening to connections from the network. Depending on your operating system and how it is configured, if you disable your firewall you may be opening yourself up to being infected by worms and other network-transmitted junk.

As for the antivirus, you may perfectly well disable that temporarily. The AV is only necessary in order to protect you from malicious programs or scripts you might execute, or unwittingly download from the Internet. Just don't browse into any dubious websites or run any unknown programs. If you want to be sure, just close the browser while the AV is off (and don't run any other Internet-related programs, like Thunderbird, Outlook, etc.).
jhonas
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi maybe this problem caused by any hardware/software applications connected with your internet connection.There is also a known issue that affects some Windows XP systems that causes program to disconnect by firewall. Solution of this problem is to turned off your windows firewall from security settings.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: