• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

my email accounts were hacked into

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
soupdragon1973
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: my email accounts were hacked into Reply with quote

Last Friday 3 of my accounts were hacked into.I know who was responsible,its just hard to prove now.What happened is the person went into all 3 and sent me abusive emails to my other accounts.This person also deleted many emails and removed blocked email accounts and generally cause havoc.They then changed my password and email details on a Facebook account I have.I called the police about this but they were useless and even told the person in question(who they phoned that evening) that I am paranoid!

Firstly,the person in question doesnt have access to my passwords,I am 200 miles away from this person and have changed all my passwords recently on my accounts anyhow.They werent passwords that they could have guessed at easily,I used random words.

Any ideas how they did it?I would like to know so can pass this information to the police please.More so would like to know if the person who did it can be traced by their IP address when they were logged into my email accounts.
SecurityTrend
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passwords may be captured by keylogger software as you type passwords. They may also be captured by other spyware if you copy and paste them.

If your passwords were the same for some accounts then also other accounts can be compromised.

If you EMail is compromised then EMails may also contain account and password details for many different accounts.

If someone has installed a remote access trojan to your system then they may have access to your system and spy on just about anything.

And there are many more pitfalls that can cause your passwords to be compromised.

So, in short, there are a myriad of ways that someone may have gained access to your accounts.

I assume you have taken action and changed passwords and other security items (eg: secret questions) on your accounts, and perhaps even closed accounts.

Remember to have different passwords for different account, use strong passwords (eg: alpha & numeric, upper and lower case) that can't be guessed and change them frequently.

As for IP addresses, your account provider (eg: Facebook) may have traced the access and as such hacking should be reported to them.

This is just a general idea, there is much more to good security.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: