• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

How do I determining the algorithm?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Cryptographic Theory and Cryptanalysis - Internal and Transmission Security

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zfield
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: How do I determining the algorithm? Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out how to determine the algorithm used to encrypt a string.

When I run a network sniff while connecting to a specific web server, the java application I'm using to connect encrypts the data.

These are my results when testing different variations of the user/pass:

username: abc@123.com password:abc@123.com
web_username=abc@123.com&web_password=Vbrqw40IvfGS13yTE6zFzA==&key=FKvRoTLptOa83KZM8Dk18g==

username: abc@123.com password:a
web_username=abc@123.com&web_password=ciL36Wtk5ePs3BSH6VC84A==&key=FKvRoTLptOa83KZM8Dk18g==
username: abc@123.com password:b
web_username=abc@123.com&web_password=hK3WDoofvZ5+lcPvhfcz+g==&key=FKvRoTLptOa83KZM8Dk18g==
username: abc@123.com password:c
web_username=abc@123.com&web_password=j+g6oP5MlzNPqLV9puzQqA==&key=FKvRoTLptOa83KZM8Dk18g==

Now, when I change the username, I have noticed that a) the encrypted password string is different and b) the &key= is different.
username: different@123.com password: a
web_username=different@123.com&web_password=VnXtVPNu2+h5Bed+gTdx1w==&key=c/dK8bDuVxRhfHwDdq/FG/A==

*The original web password was originally url encoded (eg: instead of @ there was %40)

So far, I can tell that the encrypted password value includes data from the username and password.

My 3 questions:
What is the $key value used for?
Is the == (after the password and &key) a string terminator?
How can I determine the algorithm used to compute the encrypted value?

Thanks in advance for helping
Fire Ant
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you make no mention of the product its difficult. In fact you might be better off asking the vendor unless you are up something dodgy.

Quote:
What is the $key value used for?
Lets take a guess at either a Hash salt or encryption key.

Quote:
Is the == (after the password and &key) a string terminator?
Yes, the strings are probably Base64 encoded.

Quote:
How can I determine the algorithm used to compute the encrypted value?
Yes, I suggest research. Either try some things out yourself or speak to the vendor etc etc.

Fire Ant

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Cryptographic Theory and Cryptanalysis - Internal and Transmission Security All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: