• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Antivirus for rootkits for external disk

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Viruses // Worms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaspar
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Antivirus for rootkits for external disk Reply with quote

I have arrived at the conclusion that the only way to be at least a bit sure that my computer is not infected by rootkits is to start up with an other operating system. I often make a full clone of my laptops disk onto another disk and I have a USB hard disk connection station so I can have both hard disks mounted. If I want to run a windows antivirus solution that makes an extensive checking for boot rootkits on the external disk, which solution is the best to use today?

Thanks in advance for proposals, and a small description of why the solution is the best.

Kaspar
heutenitaz
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can scan at the boot time anytime but I suggest you when you are cloning your OS before at that time you have to scan the system with all file (HIDDEN, ARCHIVE, ZIP).
Here you can see the result of the data which is infected or not?
If there is no problem regarding to virus then you are safe to copy or cloning and you can attach to any system.
isarodriguez
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Antivirus for rootkits for external disk Reply with quote

Kaspar wrote:
I have arrived at the conclusion that the only way to be at least a bit sure that my computer is not infected by rootkits is to start up with an other operating system. I often make a full clone of my laptops disk onto another disk and I have a USB hard disk connection station so I can have both hard disks mounted. If I want to run a windows antivirus solution that makes an extensive checking for boot rootkits on the external disk, which solution is the best to use today?

Thanks in advance for proposals, and a small description of why the solution is the best.

Kaspar

You can use Avast Professioanl or Home Edition and ESET Not32 both are useful programs. You can choose between them for protection. For more protection download RRT. It is useful when u get attacked by viruses.
Kaspar
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: But does these scan the boot sectors on external disks? Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer!
The problem I have is that my anti virus software i.e. AVG seems to only scan programs and files on external disks, not boot sectors and such stuff. So how can I be sure that root kits are found?
Does those ant virus program scan external bootable disks for root kits?
qaz11
Spammer
Spammer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly check the hard drive using the manufacturer's utility programs. ( see their respective websites). You can use windows based programs though I would recommend a stand alone bootable CD based diagnostic program.

If no issue are found, check your drive for antivirus/ anti-rootkit programs. Web based programs like trend-micro housecall, kasprsky etc. would be OK. Make sure you have the latest virus definitions files. This will take a long time.

If no issues are found, check your USB Host Controller in device manager (I assume it is USB drive). It may be communicating at USB 1.1 speed instead of USB 2.0. Try another USB port. You may also use Microsoft DEVCON utility to auto-reconfigure all plug n play devices while unloading the drivers for unconnected devices. Restart the computer.

====================
Insurance| Accident Insurance
PhiBer
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Antivirus for rootkits for external disk Reply with quote

Kaspar wrote:
I have arrived at the conclusion that the only way to be at least a bit sure that my computer is not infected by rootkits is to start up with an other operating system.

Kaspar,
Thought I would mention that there is also a possibility of rootkits hiding in PCI cards or on motherboards so booting into a good known OS may not always keep you "secure" per se.

Have a look at these two articles:

Dell ships servers with Malware onboard

Implementing and detecting a PCI rootkit
jhonas
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey you can do this through web based security programs like Antivirus or Antispyware products. Both are best for pc security and and also for scaning the external hard disk
jhonas
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use Avast Professioanl to scan at the boot time. It will delete all infected viruses or rokiets from your pc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Viruses // Worms All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: