• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

I'm a total numpty

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Becks36
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: I'm a total numpty Reply with quote

Hi there,
I been having a few problems on facebook with threatening messages, anyway the short of it is I want to stop people finding out my IP (I fear it is a case of shutting the stable door and the horse has already bolted)
I am a TOTAL novice in these things and I have been trying to find a thread that will already help me on this and found one that suggested Tor.
I have downloaded Tor and it is running in my task bar, but is that it? Do I need to do anything else?

Also these programmes you buy or subscribe to that claim to let you choose where you want to be (drop down menu and you can be somewhere like NZ) are any of them any good? ( like this one http://www.change-ip-address.com/?gclid=CN6L-5fTrZ4CFUKZ2AodlHx0mA) Can anyone recommend me one that really works? I downloaded another free trial for such a programme and then I ran an IP check and it still came up with my own not my chosen one.

Please be aware if anyone is kind enough to answer that I do not understand most of the lingo so you will need to seriously dumb it down for me!

Thanking anyone in advance

B
Becks36
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to add that I have also downloaded Privoxy but I cannot get it to work as it is trying to use the same port as Vor??
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should download the Tor Browser bundle. It has everything you need -- it runs Tor (which gives you a network circuit over 3 random computers somewhere in the world), Privoxy (to clean cookies and dangerous Javascript, etc) and it also includes a portable version of Firefox that leaves no traces like disk cache, etc.

If you're getting errors with the Privoxy you downloaded it's probably because the version of Tor you downloaded is already the bundle version -- the one that already includes Privoxy.

Check out more information at the download page: http://www.torproject.org/torbrowser/index.html.en

When Tor is running, it sets up a SOCKS proxy on localhost, port 9050. You can use this to make any application use Tor, as long as that application supports SOCKS proxies. Just configure the application to use localhost:9050 and it will be using Tor. As for browsers, just configure them to use the HTTP proxy that the bundled Privoxy gives you.
Becks36
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great thank you for your reply x

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: