• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

HELP!!! boyfriend put spyware on my computer AND...

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Spyware // Adware // Trojans Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HelpBeenHacked
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: HELP!!! boyfriend put spyware on my computer AND... Reply with quote

I also found out that he has something that can bypass my internet password so that he can use my internet (not being internet savvy, I haven't a clue what that means - if he can just use the internet or he can see what I've been doing and my passwords).

I'll start off by saying he is now an EX boyfriend as of yesterday. I should have done it weeks ago when he confessed to putting a keylogger or some sort of "camera" on my computer that gives you screen shots. He CLAIMS whatever he put on has now been taken off, but I don't believe him. I've been using my laptop - which he has not touched in months - and yet I worry there may even be something on this, too. NOTE: I did find a file called "Spector" which I discovered is a spyware program but he says that program was NOT what he used. I also REMOVED the Kaspersky anti-virus HE put on and replaced it with a program called Avira.

Soooooo.... is there anything I can do, short of having to use my own money to hire a computer expert to look at my desktop, to see if I'm spy-free?

ALSO, he mentioned that he "got on" the internet with HIS laptop at my house "bypassing" my modem's password, which I (no duh) changed after what he did. He even said, "I could be sitting across the street and get on." What exactly does this mean, that he can JUST use my internet connection, or can he see what I'm doing? Or WORSE, can he get my passwords (for email and such) which I just changed and don't want to have to change again.

Thank you!!!!!
Ignatius
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest that you make a backup of your data, reinstall the operating system and then restore your applications and data. You say that you aren't "savvy" so I suspect that you might need to get someone to do that for you. Whilst you could run tools to see what might be on your system, there's no guarantee that you'll pick everything up or be able to get rid of it easily.

For your own peace of mind, I think the sensible thing would be to start from fresh ... which means reformatting and reinstalling.
RoboGeek
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

setting up your wireless securely is your first step.

Many legit keyloggers won't show up in malware scans, but a competent tech will be able to find them easily

If he has access to your internet connection via wireless, he can sniff your traffic and see what you do - but thats a simple fix

But you say modem.. I'm assuming you mean wireless router? If you don't have one, then he is full of poo, since he will have to plug in a cable to get internet access

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Spyware // Adware // Trojans Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: