• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

PST Recovery

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Computer Forensics and Incident Response

View previous topic :: View next topic  
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: PST Recovery Reply with quote

not sure if this is the right place but figured as it's file recovery, it's worth a shot Smile

just a general question really - we've got a lot of e-mails being archived to pst files which whilst it's not the best solution it is what we've got at the moment. One concern I have is that we're starting to run into a few instances where the PST is reporting as corrupt and not displaying it's contents correctly or at all.

are there any recommended applications for recovering data from pst's?

i'm looking for something as robust as possible as in some cases getting the info out is a legal requirement.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
White Scorpion
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had success with:
- http://www.repairpst.net

and a few others which I do not remember.

EasyRecovery (http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/file-recovery-software/)
appears to the job quite well with other office files, so I guess psts will probably work as well Wink
L6481
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best software I can recommend you is PST Repair, which is advanced .pst file repair software which recovers e-mail messages from Microsoft Outlook Personal Storage Files (.pst).

ryansutton
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year my company was acquired by a corporate giant and we got slapped with 70MB exchange limits. We had to export all the user's email to PST's (Yes I'm now an exmerge expert :).

We have had a few issues with corruption as well. My biggest concern is that users don't monitor their PST files and they often grow past the 2GB "safety" limit. Does anyone know of a way to monitor this? Our helpdesk guys often don't find out about corrupted PST's until it is too late.
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Ryan - I've looked into the same thing as we have to archive public folders into PST's and they can be huge if we're not careful. Same thing for the exmerging of mailboxes. If you find out, please let me know as it's bugging me too Smile
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tell the few users whose mailboxes get to that limit on a regular basis to archive according to themes. like 2005, 2006, etc. or Q1, Q2, etc. or alphabetically by accounts, etc. then i qualify it with "as long as it makes sense to you and you can tell us where to find something if we need to recover data from these files"
fyz
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You can use Inbox Repair tool which is used to repair corrupted file of pst. To run Inbox repair tool fallow the steps:

1. Click on start goes to the search then click on files or folders option.
2. In search box type scanpst.exe.
3. Double click on the scanpst.exe file to open the inbox repair tool.
4. Then enter the location of Pst file and its name or browse it for the path.
5. Then start to repair.

This way you can repair your pst file. But if your file is badly damaged you may not able to repair it. At that time you can use pst repair software. You may try a tool called Advanced Outlook Repair to repair your PST file. It is a powerful tool to recover messages, folders and other objects from corrupt or damaged Microsoft Outlook PST files.

And you can also download a free demo version at hxxp://www.datanumen.com/aor/aor.exe

Hope this helps.

Alan

Moderator note: edited to disable direct link to executable file - capi
RoboGeek
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use recovery toolbox. Its not free but I've used it successfully hundreds of times

http://www.recoverytoolbox.com/
JNPT
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: PST Repair Software Reply with quote

Inbox Repair Tool- Microsoft provides the Inbox Repair Tool for correcting most problems with damaged Personal Folders .pst files. If you do not see the Inbox Repair Tool on the Start menu, under Programs | Accessories | System Tools, use Start | Find or Start | Search (depending on your operating system) to search your system for Scanpst.exe.

Location of .pst File - You will need to know the location of the .pst file that you want to repair. See Outlook & Exchange/Windows Messaging Backup and Dual-Boot for information on file locations and ways to determine the location of a .pst file that you can see in Outlook.

Run Scanpst.exe - it performs a number of tests. If it finds errors, it asks whether you want to make a backup copy of the original file, then tries to correct the errors.

For seriously corrupted PST files, try running Scandisk.exe (look under Programs | Accessories | System Tools) first, then Scanpst.exe, repeating 3-4 times until neither program returns an error. We've know this technique to restore data that the user though was lost forever.

If the file is on an NTFS volume, you can't use Scandisk.exe so easily. One approach, for Windows 2000, is to open the drive in My Computer and use the Tools menu commands to scan the disk. You may need to restart Windows for the scan to run.

PST Repair - Another most popular Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair is a powerful tool which scans, repairs and restores corrupted PST. Effective to use and safe for PST repair, the software supports all Outlook versions and helps at each stage of corruption for PST recovery. Just specify the file path & click to PST repair & get the corruption free PST.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Computer Forensics and Incident Response All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: