• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Want to support SHA-256 on Windows XP

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Cryptographic Theory and Cryptanalysis - Internal and Transmission Security

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amol_crypto
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Want to support SHA-256 on Windows XP Reply with quote

I am trying to implement support of SHA_256 on Windows XP. I have certificate that I use to sign message digest when I call “CryptAcquireCertificatePrivateKey” to get provider and private key information I get provider (I guess PROV_RSA_FULL) which does not support SHA_256. “PROV_RSA_AES” supports SHA_256, I confirmed this. Please let me know how I can change the provider that is returned from “CryptAcquireCertificatePrivateKey” and make it return “PROV_RSA_AES” provider.

Thanks in Advnace
Amol
puneet2k5
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PROV_RSA_FULL does not support SHA-256.
To use PROV_RSA_AES, acquire its handle using CryptAcquireContext().
The use this handle for verification etc.
For SHA-2 make sure that
CRYPT_VERIFY_MESSAGE_PARA params passed to CryptVerifyDetachedMessageSignature() must contain a handle to a CSP of type 'PROV_RSA_AES'rather than NULL. Passing NULL means default CSP which may not be PROV_RSA_AES typ.
amol_crypto
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , I changed the provider type there and used PROV_RSA_AES instead of PROV_RSA_FULL but still verification part of detached message is getting failed. CryptVerifyDetachedMessageSignature says "failed: Invalid Signature (0x80090006).."

Anything else that I need to change to specify what type of SHA digest is this like SHA-256 or SHA-384.
puneet2k5
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Minimum you must have Windows XP SP3. Plz check it
amol_crypto
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Algorithm ID is not defined for SHA-224 Reply with quote

Why algorithm ID for SHA-224 is not defined in "wincrypt.h" header file like we have for SHA-256 (CALG_SHA_256).
amol_crypto
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more problem I encountered with CryptGetMessageCertificates it fails when I pass on signature (pkcs7) which has SHA-256 (pkcs1) embedded in it. It says invalid algorithm specified. I passed on "PROV_RSA_AES" as a provider type but get the same error. Any idea about this kind of behavior.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Cryptographic Theory and Cryptanalysis - Internal and Transmission Security All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: