• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Gaining internet access by fooling URLs

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Firewalls // Intrusion Detection - External Security

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foxhound
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Gaining internet access by fooling URLs Reply with quote

Hello,

A friend of me told me that in his company he has limited access to the internet: some websites can be visit but the majority cannot be reached.

This filtering is done by a proxy's firewall checking what keywords are in the URL.

To gain access to more sites, he told me it was possible to mislead the firewall by inserting the authorized keywords in the URL so that the firewall accepts an URL that normally would be rejected.

To do that he told me that some software do this automatically.

Does somebody know this technique?

Thanks in helping me.
Groovicus
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The company has limited access in order to protect its resources. Since many here are security professionals tasked with protecting company assets, that sort of topic is really not discussed here unless it is in the context of discussing counter-measures, pen testing, or advising up and coming system admins on potential security risks.

So to answer your question, yes. I hope that helps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Firewalls // Intrusion Detection - External Security All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: