• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

New Gmail Security Features: Remote Signout / IP Logs

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhiBer
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: New Gmail Security Features: Remote Signout / IP Logs Reply with quote

Quote:
we're adding a new layer of information and control. With this new feature, you can now track your recent sessions and you can also sign yourself out remotely.

If you are anything like me, you probably sign in to Gmail from multiple computers. I, for example, occasionally sign into my Gmail account from a friend's house when I need to check an important email. Usually I remember to sign out, but every once in a while I wonder if I really did. Now I no longer have to wonder.

At the bottom of your inbox, you'll see information about the time of the last activity on your account and whether it's still open in another location:

More can be found at the Gmail blog here. The IP logs are a nice addition to viewing from where and when your e-mail account was accessed.
Crazy
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool and might be useful for me too.. I wonder why Gmail still Beta ?
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errata Security had an interesting take here:
http://erratasec.blogspot.com/2008/07/gmail-now-shows-ip-address-log.html

One thing I think would be useful would be for Gmail to require your password to be reconfirmed in order to change anything on your account, eg to set up email forwarding or turn on POP. This would make it harder for someone following behind you even if you had left a session without properly logging off and quitting the browser.

Good question - why on earth is this still a Beta. Makes a nonsense of the term. It seems to be trendy for any web service to go live as a "Beta" - maybe it just means they might pull it if their IPO does not make enough cash for them.
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they maintain the term 'Beta' to void any lawsuits arising from the use of their software/service. Think about it from a lawyer's point of view ... in court.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Software All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: