• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Comprehensive list of security measures

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAffect
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Comprehensive list of security measures Reply with quote

I've yet to see a comprehensive list of all the different ways you can be tracked online. I just recently read a white paper on clock skews which can be used as a physical device fingerprint to identify an individual machine remotely, even through proxy services like Tor. Further, I know that there are ways of bugging an operating system with a unique ID, and that some networking hardware actually has a unique physical serial number embedded into the device (ex. MAC addresses, ICC ID, etc). There are countermeasures for several of these methods individually, but if you really want to stay anonymous, which methods am I missing?

Obviously, physical access gives anyone anything they need from your RAM, logs, and what's left of afterimages on your HDD (which you can still degauss), and now anyone acting in "good faith" with any intelligence agency can go directly to a Telecom to bug your traffic without a warrant and get basically anything they need on your online behavior. The potential for abuses seems statistically certain. According to what I've been reading, apparently even the military is beginning to worry about malware being physically encoded into chips and circuitry itself.

Physical access and telcom technology aside, what other tricks do they have up their sleeves? Business ethics for tech vendors seem to be going down the tubes, and I was just wondering: is online anonymity becoming just an illusion?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: