• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Forensic Computing Degree

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Computer Forensics and Incident Response

View previous topic :: View next topic  
onintks
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Forensic Computing Degree Reply with quote

Hi i am thinking of doing a uni degree next year and have been offered a position in the forensics computing side, currently I'm doing software engineering and just wondering what jobs, money and career prospects there is within computer forensics.

Thank you
virtue
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert on it... yet...

But I'm taking computer forensics right now. I love it.
You would be working with encase and FTK (forensics toolkit software).

Also on an interesting side note, linux can effectivly be used to forensicly acquire data.

Jobs
Alot of jobs are contracted to Local, State, and Federal Law Enforcement. It is a wide spectrum.

Money.
No clue, but it is a very very specialized field. Low quantity, high demand is my theory.
The_Real_Gandalf
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

market rules apply also here...

You will be able to find a job depending on your skills. Digital forensics is a job which demands true dedication and thorough actions , as to establish a solid case.

Just a hint here... Forensics is associated to the whole vast area of IT , but also to physical security and human psychology. Search for "witnesses courses" and several books on physical security which i take is quite uknown to you.

be ready to spend a lot of time and reading , than playing in reality with forensic tools.

FTK and EnCASE are the "officialy recognized" as tools for this area, but this does not limit down , usage of other methods as long as they are upholdong integrity of the evidence, guaranteed and accurate results and of course a very good and simple report-outcome.

Hexadecimal tools are also handy.

To my knowledge , try to find a slackware live-cd version of Linux (e.g. Debian is one) and use it , as to learn. It usually has sleuthkit and dd command tools which will help you along the course.

Gandalf
virtue
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I had a computer forensics investigator visit my school.

He said precisely said what you just said.

"FTK and EnCASE are the "officialy recognized" as tools for this area, but this does not limit down , usage of other methods as long as they are upholdong integrity of the evidence, guaranteed and accurate results and of course a very good and simple report-outcome."

He was discussing different ways he had to hack if you will, things like aim, and internet explorer .dat files.

Yeah, I like what you said too about pretty much having to profile your suspect and use creative methods to nail him or exonerate him.

Gandalf is this your profession?
RoboGeek
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Investigators pretty much work with a standard pricing - its a 10 hr retainer at $350/hr to start. Some go lower for the additional hours if needed and there are expense accounts, court time, travel, etc. We do additional time at $250/hr and court time at $120, including idle time

Forensics and data recovery are my profession - along with teaching little old ladies how to get their emails.. lol
The_Real_Gandalf
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gandalf is this your profession?

Yes... although , i have not yet run into a public case.

In addition to the above i am working in the Physical IT area for a Sec company.(not safety).

Demanding area ans as said before....very "specialized".

RoboGeek , have you ever worked outside of US borders? like in E.U.?

Gandalf
virtue
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoboGeek wrote:

Forensics and data recovery are my profession - along with teaching little old ladies how to get their emails.. lol

Haha nice. I like that.
Tobywuk
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m a computer forensics student. It’s basically about digging through a computer system to find evidence of criminal activity then presenting findings in court but doing it to set standards so evidence holds up. Obviously to find out who and what was done you also need to be taught how to do it.
The_Real_Gandalf
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is not just computers today...

It is also about storage media, sim cards in mobile phones, usb sticks, flash drives and so on.
In addition to the above you need to have a certain witness course.

It is a science that you need to stay updated , along with IT progress in general, day-to-day.

Gandalf

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Computer Forensics and Incident Response All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: