• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

computer security

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Computer Forensics and Incident Response

View previous topic :: View next topic  
concactus
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: computer security Reply with quote

i'm going to college soon and before i can connect to their network (for internet and such) the IT department has to "secure" my computer.
how can i tell exactly what they have done/installed/deleted so i can undo it if i choose.

thanks
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could try asking them when they're doing the work to it?
stimpy99
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: computer security Reply with quote

concactus wrote:
i'm going to college soon and before i can connect to their network (for internet and such) the IT department has to "secure" my computer.
how can i tell exactly what they have done/installed/deleted so i can undo it if i choose.thanks

Interesting. We will not let anyone connect their own kit to our network. For the simple reason that we cannot tell them what to do with their own kit. If the computer is owned by the college they can dictate what you can and cannot do and punish you if you transgress. We control the local admin passwords for the machines. Are they going to change your Admin password and lock you out of your own system? If they do not how can they guarantee that you will not undo what they are done and accidentally infect the network?

Pretty crap policy. They would just be better creating a DMZ and securing that with firewalls and proxy servers checking content!
The_Real_Gandalf
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they can do a lot of things actually that you wont be able to see , especially if you are not the machine's admin.

They can do also a lot of things from the LAN's side (e.g. GPOs, ACLs and so on) which also wont be visible to you.

The best thing you have to do , is to ask (if the machine is yours) to have a list of changed things in your comp, as to be able to revocer in previous state. This is to be asked only from the administrators of your network.

Gandalf

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Computer Forensics and Incident Response All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: