Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:07 pm Post subject: Test anti-virus software?
There is no better way to test the performance of an anti-virus/spyware software by throwing virus/spyware onto a computer. Does anyone know where I can download virus and spyware on the Internet? For some reasons, it's so hard for I.T. guys to find virus/spyware on the Internet, but users can get them easily.
the easiest way is to visit a warez site, but this is not a real performance test.
Real AV test would be ne to contain the following.
- abillity to discover and face all known virus cases.
- abillity to discover virus-like activities and inform user for further actions (Heuristics)
- Resources consuming benchmark ( it might be good but it could do the same damage as the virus if it is a resource hogger).
- Update schedulling. If a virus is out like every 15 minutes or so , in the Web ,then staying updated as fast as possible is something essential.
- GUI. How easy is to configure-administer-handle your AV program. If you need an MB or PhD to use it, then i think you will very soon get very frustrated with it.
- Scan engine. Some AV programs although very good , have a weak scan engine and as a result they might get "infected" by a polymorphic work or even stop as a service.
You see now why it is not as easy as you think to bencmark an AV/Anti-spyware software?
Copy and paste the following line of text into a text editor and save the file as EICAR.COM : Next, scan this file with your anti virus software. If it is working properly, it should detect it as "EICAR test file. You can then delete the file.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum