• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Overwriting question

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Computer Forensics and Incident Response

View previous topic :: View next topic  
newuser1
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I just ran a program called File Shredder made by Systenance-Software. It's much easier to use than Simple File Shredder (for me at least) - you just choose the "shred free space" option and it does it for you. Took about 10 minutes to do a DoD overwrite of all free space. I ran Recuva afterwards to see if it could recover anything and it couldn't (although I didn't run the "deep scan" option yet).

I'm wondering one more thing if anyone can assist - do these shredder programs erase your chat history for yahoo messenger and other chat programs? I imagine they do, but I'd like to know for sure. Thanks again.
babyface
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

I'm sure you could have a file shredder erase the contents of whatever folder houses your chat history -- provided you know where that folder is. Usually chat history (depending on your settings) is either stored in a similarly named folder (i.e., My Documents>History), or in Program Files, or in (for 'doze XP) Application Data.

However, if you'd like to use Yahoo Messenger itself to disable the storing of chat history, simply go to "Preferences", and under "Archive" choose "No, do not save any of my messages". You can then click "Clear archive now". I think older versions do it slightly differently, but ultimately you just have to uncheck the enabling of message history.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Computer Forensics and Incident Response All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: