• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Security forums new look

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Comments // Problems etc.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are not, have not been, nor intend to be in the future centered on Windows only OS discussion. We remain an open OS discussion forum as before.

Now the other side of it. We need to integrate with WindowSecurity.com. We have and are working toward that goal.

Not sure how to solve the problem of appearing to only be Windows OS Discussion forum. We may need to place a blurb in our SFDC banner. Not much, but I can't think of any other acceptable remedies to this issue.

Tom
Sid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom_Bair wrote:

Now the other side of it. We need to integrate with WindowSecurity.com.

Is there any specific reason why?
jeffball55
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To counteract the windows OS thing, you could register a couple of non-window website names, such as LinuxSecurity, UnixSecurity, etc. Then just redirect them here and add a logo here or there that says the other website names. Just a thought on how to continue to be OS independent.
ryansutton
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom_Bair wrote:
We are not, have not been, nor intend to be in the future centered on Windows only OS discussion. We remain an open OS discussion forum as before.

Now take that and paste it right underneath the windowsecurity.com logo Wink
Fletcher Christian
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... Looks like I'll be the hundredth person to say this, but I liked the old site better.

1) I do not like the WindowSecurity being stuck on here. If this becomes focused on WindowsSecurity, I'm outta here. What gives?
2) I don't like not having the forums full screen. The side bar, as so many said, takes up too much room.
data
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid wrote:
Tom_Bair wrote:

Now the other side of it. We need to integrate with WindowSecurity.com.

Is there any specific reason why?

Though WIndows Security pays for SFDC, they donot get any web hits on windows security. With the integration, I believe, they are hoping to get SFDC users to visit windows security. The integration is logical but there is too much clutter as a result unless they compromise on something less than full fledged integration.
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please note that we are still working on the appearance of the site, taking your comments into consideration. It is somewhat a slow process, but we wish to make sure we do not create any problems along the way.

The banners are permanent. This site needs to generate revenue. Simple fact of life, sorry.

The sidebar is also permanent and will not go away. SFDC is merged into WindowSecurity.com now. We are the Discussion Forum supporting all the TechGenix sites. Again please note that the discussion is not limited to Microsoft Windows related security issues.

We will modify the LHS bar so that the Articles & Tutorials menu will be
by default collapsed when coming onto the site. However, at the moment it remembers what the last position was when you have left the
site. If it is closed then it will remain closed.

We will be migrating to ASP.NET forum software in the future. No firm date yet at this time.

We are working on the horizontal scroll issue. It seems to be localized to a few particular forums and is not site-wide. Please continue to comment on this.

We are working on bringing back the announcements page but this will take time as we need to redesign it so it's not as messy. A few years of slaping code around in it have taken it's toll Smile

We will try to fix the site as much as possible but the LHS bar and banners
remain.

Tom
ryansutton
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom, that is some good news at least.
mxb
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom_Bair wrote:
SFDC is merged into WindowSecurity.com now. We are the Discussion Forum supporting all the TechGenix sites. Again please note that the discussion is not limited to Microsoft Windows related security issues.

We know that it's not limited, but that isn't the first impression given by the site. As you say that SFDC is the discussion forum for all the TechGenix sites, wouldn't it be better to have a TechGenix logo rather than a WindowSecurity one? We gain our initial vendor neutralilty back and it also shows we are for all the different sites.

Tom_Bair wrote:
We are working on the horizontal scroll issue. It seems to be localized to a few particular forums and is not site-wide. Please continue to comment on this.

I think the problem is partly due to fonts. I have a reasonably sized minimum font set in Firefox, and the lhs menu is nearly double the width of the grey stripes in places. This pushes the forum over and so I have to scroll.

Thanks for the update Tom and I hope you get it sorted soon.

Cheers,
Martin
phunkodelic
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As you say that SFDC is the discussion forum for all the TechGenix sites, wouldn't it be better to have a TechGenix logo rather than a WindowSecurity one?

Cha-ching.... I think we have an answer. Maybe make a header with www.security-formums.com as the BIG text item (main focus) and then put something like "also includes www.windowsecurity.com, www.yaddayadda yadda.com, etc". Just an idea here.

I understand the need to make money because ya gotta pay the bills but I figure there has to be a happy medium. I would hate to see this site go the way of www.cramsession.com did. At one time the had some extreamly talented folks that used to hang out in the fourm, and not just to study for certification exams. Alot of admin types like myself who hung out to get help with every day issues and to help others with their issues. One day there was a managment change and they decided to try and make a lot fo money out of the site. The vast majority of the talent left and got pissed off and the quality of the forums when into the toliet. If you visit their forums now they are DEAD. Nowbody posts there anymore. Not saying that is going to happen here, but just trying to make a point.

Good luck.
Fletcher Christian
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mxb wrote:
Tom_Bair wrote:
SFDC is merged into WindowSecurity.com now. We are the Discussion Forum supporting all the TechGenix sites. Again please note that the discussion is not limited to Microsoft Windows related security issues.

We know that it's not limited, but that isn't the first impression given by the site. As you say that SFDC is the discussion forum for all the TechGenix sites, wouldn't it be better to have a TechGenix logo rather than a WindowSecurity one? We gain our initial vendor neutralilty back and it also shows we are for all the different sites.

I can say for one, that when I initially found this site, if it would have had a big "Windowsecurity.com" link on the top of the page (in anything but an advert banner) I would have browsed right on by and never looked back. I guess I am going to have to start hunting for an alternative. Take my 2 cents for what they are worth.
Stormhawk
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty clear that the response to these changes has been overwhelmingly negative from both staff and regular members. If I were in a position to execute some kind of power over these changes I'd listen to this and change it back, looking for some other, less intrusive, way, to integrate the two sites. (Just my opinion!).

Of course, if the owners of this place want to run it into the ground, that's their prerogative, but I sure as hell hope they don't expect us to stick around and watch the apocalypse...

The way things are going, I'm outta here before much longer. There needs to be a serious change in the way the powers that be respond to the voice of the membership. After all, its the 20,000 or so members here that make this place what it is, irrespective of who owns it, or what branding it has. If the quality of the membership declines, there's no amount of branding, integration, or money, can save it.

Admins, TechGenix staff, ANYONE capable of making this decision...
Listen to the members, it's pretty clear that no one is celebrating this change, at least, no one outside of TechGenix, anyway. My advice - don't let this place slide. It happens to a lot of forums, they outgrow the philosophies on which they were built, and become huge bureaucracies. It happened to AntiOnline, and it will happen here, unless you guys stop and listen to what the people who actually use, and run - yes, that is, those of us who dedicate our free time to moderating and keeping this place tidy, not those who pay the bills, have to say. Without the staff and members, this place would be nothing.

Last edited by Stormhawk on Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
ryansutton
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be willing to donate to keep this site operable without all the nonesense that is going on now, has management considered this as an option?
alt.don
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

This thread is becoming counter-productive at the moment I am afraid. All comments put here so far will be taken into cosideration, that much I promise. For the time being I will lock this thread to give us all a time to think things over. That does not mean by inference that anything will change, but rather that we will look at all factors. I do thank all of you for your contribution to this forum, and also for your mature commentary.

Thank you,

Don

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Comments // Problems etc. All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: