Mac address of stolen laptop

Networking/Security Forums -> Computer Forensics and Incident Response

Author: kapilmunjal PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Mac address of stolen laptop
    ----
Hi
My laptop got stolen around 4 months back and I filed an FIR for the same. And suddenly I received a call from the police station, then they require the MAC address of my laptop to retrieve it.

But, unfortunately I dont have the MAC address with me right now.

Please help me how to obtain the MAC address of my laptop. One think I am going to try is to Contact the Laptop manufacturer and try to get it. But what could be other things which can help me retrieve it.

Regards
Kapil Munjal

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject:
    ----
Your router or wireless access point may have a record of your MAC address, you will need to log in to the device to see.

Author: kapilmunjal PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I have a belkin router, but could not get the details and also could not get the archived log file.

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject:
    ----
kapilmunjal wrote:
I have a belkin router, but could not get the details and also could not get the archived log file.

You are probably SOL then.

Author: kapilmunjal PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject:
    ----
Any idea if ISP stores the mac address in security logs?

Author: Sgt_BLocation: Chicago, IL US PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject:
    ----
They likely do not. I would contact the vendor you got your laptop from and go through all itemized invoices/receipts to see if the MAC address is included there.

Author: PhiBerLocation: Your MBR PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Wait, why would the police need your MAC address? I mean, let's be honest, who here documents their MAC address? Are you sure they aren't looking for a serial number?

Author: deeb PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject:
    ----
cops would not ask for mac address. He's obviously fishing around for something.

Networking/Security Forums -> Computer Forensics and Incident Response

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1