harddrive security

Networking/Security Forums -> Physical Security and Social Engineering

Author: n707 PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: harddrive security
    ----
Hello.

I have set BIOS password for my laptop, and I have also set BIOS password for my harddrive.

If someone would remove my harddrive from my laptop, will they need my BIOS harddrive password to access my data?

Or does the BIOS harddrive password protect just access to any harddrive in my laptop?

Author: RoboGeekLocation: LeRoy, IL PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I recover data from PW protected drives - that should answer your question!

The only way to be secure is to use whole drive encryption

Author: n707 PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject:
    ----
RoboGeek wrote:
The only way to be secure is to use whole drive encryption

I know. But won't use of harddisk password create at least one more obstacle to overcome for an attacker? Of course it will. Any obstacle for an attacker means, that they have to be more educated, have more experience etc.

So, if I set a BIOS harddrive password, will it be still on the drive, even if I remove it from the laptop?

Author: GroovicusLocation: Centerville, South Dakota PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject:
    ----
The bios password is stored in the CMOS; it is not stored on the hard drive.

Author: wikecamera PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject:
    ----
BLOS password only protect access to your laptop, if you didn't set password for your harddrive, they can access your harddrive, and remove it.

Networking/Security Forums -> Physical Security and Social Engineering

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1