craigslist if you do a search, do they store your info?

Networking/Security Forums -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam

Author: kentuckynet101 PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: craigslist if you do a search, do they store your info?
    ----
Hello,

If youre not a member/registered on craigslist or ebay, and you do a search, then click on the item, do they store your ip ???

I realize ebay for instance uses a counter for visitors. i wonder do they store your info, as a guest ip address and assosciate it with the craigslist page or the ebay auction????

What info do counters store?

If you know the answer to my question by all means post!

Thanks

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Any web page has the ability to store your IP address.

Author: NonapeptideLocation: Scottsdale, Arizona PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: craigslist if you do a search, do they store your info?
    ----
You're never anonymous on the internet. You can make it increasingly difficult to trace activity back to your real identity using various anonymizers, VPNs, sock puppets, and etc., but you can never truly guarantee absolute anonymity.

Author: offradarencryptedLocation: Northeastern USA PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: craigslist if you do a search, do they store your info?
    ----
Nonapeptide wrote:
You're never anonymous on the internet. You can make it increasingly difficult to trace activity back

If anonymity is your goal a public unsecure Wi-Fi and a SSL-full-session email account you only use when on public Wi-Fi networks is your best bet for anonymity as well as privacy.
If you delete your mail the same day it is received and purge the trash you have less of a chance of it being archived on backup servers.
For Craigslist delete all cookies and cache when you close your browser.[/u]

Networking/Security Forums -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1