Topic Reply Notifications

Networking/Security Forums -> Comments // Problems etc.

Author: Fire AntLocation: London PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Topic Reply Notifications
    ----
I keep getting these emails...

Quote:

You are receiving this email because you are watching the topic, "Hello everyone." at Security Forums. This topic has received a reply since your last visit. You can use the following link to view the replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.

http://www.security-forums.com/viewtopic.php?p=289415#289415

When I click on the link and then I get told its a deleted post. Now I have had about 5 of these over the past few days.

Anyone know whats going on?

Matt_s

Author: Tom BairLocation: Portland, Oregon USA PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject:
    ----
It's very possible that the thread you are watching has been hit with spam... which is later removed by a moderator. But the email notification goes out just after the post is submitted to the thread.

Author: capiLocation: Portugal PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject:
    ----
That was the thread where you responded to Emily17 talking about cryptography and its aspects (in the context of securing files and data). As it turned out, the original post to which you replied was merely bait-and-switch spam - Emily17 replied a few days later advertising a particular piece of software she had conveniently "discovered" that did everything she wanted (and completely ignored everything you said).

We've had other spammers advertising the same software before; they're getting more subtle, and unfortunately made you waste your time writing a good reply to someone who didn't care.

The thread was moved into a staff-only section for archival by one of our moderators. You got notification emails due to the reply made by the OP/spammer (where she advertised the program) and replies from our mods commenting the issue.

Since we move problematic threads instead of outright deleting them, this kind of problem can come up and you will get notified for replies you can't read. When it happens, I'd suggest just removing the notification for that particular thread.

Author: Fire AntLocation: London PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Capi,

Nice one, cheers to the update.

Matt_s

Author: Fire AntLocation: London PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Although I am rather annoyed about this. I spent ages writing a decent response to that spammer. I was half cut as well which made it doubley hard. Grrrr

Damn them spammers.

Author: GroovicusLocation: Centerville, South Dakota PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I can understand. We get really annoyed deleting spam posts, as well as trying to cross check various members to see who is spamming from multiple accounts, and trying to keep track of sleepers who make a few innocuous posts, and then later add a spam signature.

Author: Tom BairLocation: Portland, Oregon USA PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject:
    ----
matt_s wrote:
Although I am rather annoyed about this. I spent ages writing a decent response to that spammer. I was half cut as well which made it doubley hard. Grrrr

Damn them spammers.

The thread has been modified, and placed here:

http://www.security-forums.com/viewtopic.php?p=289286#289286

under the subject of: What is encryption?

Smile

Networking/Security Forums -> Comments // Problems etc.

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1