Overwriting question
Goto page Previous  1, 2  :||:
Networking/Security Forums -> Computer Forensics and Incident Response

Author: newuser1 PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Actually, I just ran a program called File Shredder made by Systenance-Software. It's much easier to use than Simple File Shredder (for me at least) - you just choose the "shred free space" option and it does it for you. Took about 10 minutes to do a DoD overwrite of all free space. I ran Recuva afterwards to see if it could recover anything and it couldn't (although I didn't run the "deep scan" option yet).

I'm wondering one more thing if anyone can assist - do these shredder programs erase your chat history for yahoo messenger and other chat programs? I imagine they do, but I'd like to know for sure. Thanks again.

Author: babyfaceLocation: Chicago PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Hi again,

I'm sure you could have a file shredder erase the contents of whatever folder houses your chat history -- provided you know where that folder is. Usually chat history (depending on your settings) is either stored in a similarly named folder (i.e., My Documents>History), or in Program Files, or in (for 'doze XP) Application Data.

However, if you'd like to use Yahoo Messenger itself to disable the storing of chat history, simply go to "Preferences", and under "Archive" choose "No, do not save any of my messages". You can then click "Clear archive now". I think older versions do it slightly differently, but ultimately you just have to uncheck the enabling of message history.

Networking/Security Forums -> Computer Forensics and Incident Response

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  :||:
Page 2 of 2