Cannot view messages in outbox (on this site)

Networking/Security Forums -> Comments // Problems etc.

Author: melkdsLocation: 5th floor PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Cannot view messages in outbox (on this site)
    ----
I looked to see if anything similar to this had been posted yet, but couldn't see any. When I try to view messages in my Outbox I get a 'General Error : Could not query private message post information'. This stops me from editing a message I've sent before it gets to the intended recipient.

Thanks

Edit: Based on the error message and where I posted I thought it was clear, but since it wasn't. This is happening on this site when I'm trying to view messages in my outbox from my private messages on this site. Sad

Author: capiLocation: Portugal PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Unfortunately, we have had this problem for quite some time now. It affects all users, and solving it seems to have proved a challenge to our webmastering staff - with the many patches for security and functionality that have been applied over the years, it seems some of the secondary features have been affected here and there.

For the time being the only solution I am able to suggest is a workaround: deleting the message in the outbox, and reposting it again; this would, of course, imply having a stored copy.

I always copy a message or PM to the clipboard before hitting Submit, so as to avoid any potential issues with session timeouts (sometimes one takes a long time to write something) or server errors. That, coupled with doing a Preview before posting a PM, is about as much as can be done for now, unfortunately.

Author: melkdsLocation: 5th floor PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Thanks for the reply, I'll just make copies before I send anything to be on the safe side.

Author: capiLocation: Portugal PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject:
    ----
No problem, glad to be of help Smile

I should note, however, that I'm not entirely sure whether the workaround functions completely as expected - in particular, when you delete a message in your Outbox, whether the recipient will still receive it or not.

A small test might help with that - I'll whip up a couple of PMs your way, and delete one of them while still in the Outbox.

Edit:

For the benefit of the other members, indeed it worked as expected. The PM which I deleted from the Outbox was not received by melkds, while the other one was.

Networking/Security Forums -> Comments // Problems etc.

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1