keyloggers

Networking/Security Forums -> Physical Security and Social Engineering

Author: Secure Lockdown PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: keyloggers
    ----
i was reading schnieders blogg and i decided to google usb keyloggers based on one of the discussions.

have you folks seen this?

http://www.keyghost.com/USB-Keylogger.htm

with all the usb mem sticks and all the external usb devices and the cables that ones needs to make they work, it's next to easy to completely miss some of these loggers.

Author: RFmax PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Do I understand correctly in that the logger only works if there is a USB keyboard?

Author: Secure Lockdown PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject:
    ----
yes. in this case.

where i am getting at it, in the past you could tell something suspicious is up with the keyboard, i.e. there is an extra long thingy added to the ps/2 keyboard before it connects to the machine.

which these things. its not that obvious. i am right now looking at a usb cable that i have for a extrenal dvd rom, there is an extra cylindrical plastic thingy built into it. and i know it's not a logger in this case. many on the ones on the page look very similar. and now with the onslaught of usb devices, i find that usually have tons of cabled plugged into ubs hubs at my machines. it's very easy to drop and extra one and caumoflage it with the others.

Author: RFmax PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I agree with your concern. Most major vendors are converting their computers to use strictly USB ports as well. I just installed a new Dell workstation and it only had USB ports, the PS/2 ports were not an option.

Author: sguins PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject:
    ----
Yeah I bought the KeyGhost SX Kit for pen-testing and it works quite nicely. Low-profile, huge storage, and encrypted logging. The best part is that it can be implemented on the fly, no reboot. What more could you ask for?

Author: White ScorpionLocation: The Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Quote:
Yeah I bought the KeyGhost SX Kit for pen-testing and it works quite nicely. Low-profile, huge storage, and encrypted logging. The best part is that it can be implemented on the fly, no reboot. What more could you ask for?

emailing the logs?

Just kidding.. I am planning on buying one as well, but it's a bit difficult without a creditcard (and i don't trust creditcards).

Author: geester PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject:
    ----
you can also get keyloggers for PS/2 keyboards - our security department had an issue with a councils public access area (they found some keyloggers!) so they decided to case the computers in protective PC enclosures.

This protected the computer from anyone adding anything to it, without having the relevant authority.

The supplier of the boxes was Computer Security & Solutions.

Networking/Security Forums -> Physical Security and Social Engineering

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1