Google ads
Goto page 1, 2  Next  :||:
Networking/Security Forums -> Comments // Problems etc.
Do you think Google ads on SFDC are a good idea?
Yes - they don't get in my way
33%
 33%  [ 33 ]
Yes - a bit annoying, but they help keep the site going
21%
 21%  [ 21 ]
Yes - they might even give me somewhere else to spend my time
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Yes - I'm a Google Gimp (TM) and like anything they do
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
No, I don't like even subtle ads on principle
12%
 12%  [ 12 ]
Hadn't noticed!
22%
 22%  [ 22 ]
No, they don't seem subtle to me
7%
 7%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 98

Author: AdamVLocation: Leeds, UK PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Google ads
    ----
Just noticed the Ads by Google for the first time.

What do people think?

Moderator note: 28-09-2005 21:25 GMT: added "on SFDC" to the poll's title, to disambiguate - capi

Author: njanLocation: Scotland, UK PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Eliza wrote:

What do people think?

Adblock loves them; he loves how google ads taste. Wink

Author: capiLocation: Portugal PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I took the liberty of adding a "No, they don't seem subtle to me" option since the poll seemed a bit unbalanced. Sadly, I only thought of doing so after having voted for one of the other existing options... which one is left to the reader's imagination Wink

Author: dataLocation: India PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject:
    ----
hi,

Its a little annoying,any way its okay. I find that 'Reply' button at the bottom of the page below the ad. It may come above the ad.

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I agree with Datah, that ad at the bottom would be less anoying below the reply button.

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject:
    ----
ads are *supposed* to be annoying though... and you could always use the reply at the top of the page and then scroll through the last few posts if you want to avoid the ads altogether Wink

Author: PhiBerLocation: Your MBR PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Wait...please don't tell me SFDC is going to start having Google Ads? Sad
This site has ALWAYS been above the rest because of its clean, ad-free, interface. Is there anything the members can do to help the site stay ad-free?

Author: GroovicusLocation: Centerville, South Dakota PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I still don't see them...

I guess I'm not special. Wink (I don't want to be special either)....

Author: zeedoLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject:
    ----
groovicus, using adblock+firefox maybe ?

Author: GroovicusLocation: Centerville, South Dakota PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject:
    ----
and NoScript....Very Happy

I see them in IE though.. and my only comment is that you gotta do what you gotta do as far as making SFDC able to sustain itself.

Author: njanLocation: Scotland, UK PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject:
    ----
PhiBerOptiCx wrote:

Is there anything the members can do to help the site stay ad-free?

Step 1: Install firefox
Step 2: Install adblock extension
Step 3: Import ruleset
Step 4: Happiness! Very Happy

groovicus wrote:

and my only comment is that you gotta do what you gotta do as far as making SFDC able to sustain itself.

A good point - but as long as a site presents ads as part of their page content, I reserve the right to display that page on my system in whatever way I want to, with whichever browser I choose, and with whatever rulesets/exemptions/stylesheets/other manipulations my browser supports. (And, actually, adblock on my system hides ads rather than not loading them entirely, which - since I never click on ads anyway - really means that to all intents and purposes, I'm just like a regular user anyhow)

If a site requests that members view ads in order to help support the site, I'll quite probably disable adblock whilst viewing the site, if I value the website, but I'm firmly a believer in contributions rather than ads (although I do try and click on an advert or few when I drop by sites like userfriendly.org which to some extent require ad revenue); a few dozen members a month donating a nominal fee ($10) is worth far more than ads, and I (for one) would almost certainly contribute to SFDC if it were in need of funds, I already contribute my time and energy to the site, and I'd be more than happy to donate time and expertise more formally (by assisting with administration, security, server maintenance, etc).

Very Happy

Author: SidLocation: Kansas PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject:
    ----
I think that they could be located in a better place, like down the side of the page....or something like that....just my 2 cents

Author: HopperG PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject:
    ----
Sid wrote:
I think that they could be located in a better place, like down the side of the page....or something like that....just my 2 cents

I think that may be a little obtrusive. Typically the best place to get your ads clicked is close to where the users click the most, in the hope that people will have bad aim. Putting them on the side of the page will probably only conjure up a negative reaction, and plus you'll miss all the bad aimers.

Personally, I don't mind the ads. They don't flash, or move and they're tucked away right down at the bottom of the page. The four links that were on the tops of every page earlier on today looked slightly strange though, but they're gone now anyway.

Author: SidLocation: Kansas PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject:
    ----
meh...now i have adblock...man...talk about happiness Laughing

Author: njanLocation: Scotland, UK PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject:
    ----
Sid wrote:

meh...now i have adblock...man...talk about happiness Laughing

Told you! Razz Very Happy

Author: AdamVLocation: Leeds, UK PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject:
    ----
capi wrote:
I took the liberty of adding a "No, they don't seem subtle to me" option since the poll seemed a bit unbalanced.

Thanks. I couldn't find the right wording. I like yours better.

My view is if we need them for supporting the site then I think the size, placement and so on is reasonable at the moment. At the bottom works for me, down the side on the home page works fine too.

AFAIK they only generate revenue if people click on them, but the google ads rules state that the site can't encourage or ask people to click - they must do so because the ads are so attractive (I was looking into this for my own site). So, using adblocker is fine but the site won't inherently gain anything by running the ads if they get no clicks.
So far I haven't seen any that seemed too badly unrelated, and a couple I clicked seemed to have some OK stuff on them. I like the fact that they seem in context for the thread, not just the site in general.

However, if there was another way of raising cash, I would be happy to consider supporting that instead. New thread coming up...

Networking/Security Forums -> Comments // Problems etc.

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  :||:
Page 1 of 2