"Open" polling idea

Networking/Security Forums -> Comments // Problems etc.
Do you think "open" polling is a good idea?
Yes
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
No
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Maybe
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Use Burma Shave
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
ShaolinTiger r0x0rs!
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 13

Author: GizmoguyLocation: Lost in the IPv6 internet PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: "Open" polling idea
    ----
I thought aa good idea for the site would be the ability to create an "open" poll, where people could add other options to the poll. This could include having the poll creator to have a look at the option before it is available.

Author: AdamVLocation: Leeds, UK PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I want to vote "maybe" but there's no option for that...

Author: graycatLocation: London, UK PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Eliza wrote:
I want to vote "maybe" but there's no option for that...
damn, beaten to it!! Very Happy Laughing

Author: GroovicusLocation: Centerville, South Dakota PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject:
    ----
You mean not everybody can do it? Wink

Gizmoguy, most of the time the polling feature is so badly abused/slanted/ irrelevant to the topic at hand that they are worthless. I think allowing the general populace the option of adding to the poll would only increase the irrelevancy of the poll.

EDIT: The extra options were mine, just in case anybody was wondering. Razz

Author: AdamVLocation: Leeds, UK PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject:
    ----
groovicus - you disappoint me - where's the option for "47" ?

Author: GroovicusLocation: Centerville, South Dakota PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject:
    ----
LMAO.. I thought about adding that just for you... I thought it would be a little too smart-alecky.

Author: GizmoguyLocation: Lost in the IPv6 internet PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject:
    ----
groovicus wrote:
You mean not everybody can do it? Wink

Gizmoguy, most of the time the polling feature is so badly abused/slanted/ irrelevant to the topic at hand that they are worthless. I think allowing the general populace the option of adding to the poll would only increase the irrelevancy of the poll.

EDIT: The extra options were mine, just in case anybody was wondering. Razz

Can you enlighten me as to what a Burma Shave is?

Author: GroovicusLocation: Centerville, South Dakota PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject:
    ----
http://www.fiftiesweb.com/burma.htm
I completely apologize for hijacking your thread. It's a great idea, I just think in practice it would get abused badly. Smile

Author: GizmoguyLocation: Lost in the IPv6 internet PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject:
    ----
groovicus wrote:
http://www.fiftiesweb.com/burma.htm
I completely apologize for hijacking your thread. It's a great idea, I just think in practice it would get abused badly. Smile

Yes, that's why I said about having the poll creator moderate requests.

Author: Tom BairLocation: Portland, Oregon USA PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject:
    ----
Your suggestion has been noted by myself for possible future consideration. However, at this time we feel we do not have the need nor are we comfortable with the level of security in phpBB 2.0 for such an undertaking.

After we have switched over to the new software in a few months and everything is snuggly settled into place, I'll again consider this option you have presented. It may not get used, but our new package may have the ability to keep it secure and we'll be able to offer it up to those who enjoy such Flex Polls.

In the meantime, don't be afraid to point out the merits of such a feature. I'll take note and you'll have more in your favor when the time comes to review this issue. Smile

Author: ShaolinTigerLocation: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject:
    ----
I'd say no, it's too open to abuse, or well it might be ok if it can be moderated.

We can always add to polls anyway ^^

Author: Cep PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject:
    ----
Oo whats the new forum software going to be? Vbulletin? WBB2.3? Smile

Networking/Security Forums -> Comments // Problems etc.

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1