count of "posts since last visit"

Networking/Security Forums -> Comments // Problems etc.

Author: AdamVLocation: Leeds, UK PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: count of "posts since last visit"
    ----
When I first log in I get told how many posts since last visit and then click through (which does the search) and get far fewer results (eg just now 20 become about Cool

Which is right? Does the first one include lots of things I can't access like Mod areas or other people's pm's or posts which are subsequently deleted or something weird?

or is it just that the first count "posts" and the search returns them as connected threads instead so it appears fewer? confusing! Rolling Eyes

Author: capiLocation: Portugal PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Good question.

I am not sure of the answer myself, but I believe it to be indeed related to access rights; the post count that you see on the main page is probably the actual raw post count, and the one you see on the "newposts" listing is probably the posts you can actually access.

This is not a definitive answer, though. I will try to get one of the admins (either ShaolinTiger or chris most likely, as they are the ones responsable for maintaining the site) to enlighten us on that matter.

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject:
    ----
i just thought of this exact question when i came here just now and saw 122 new posts but only about 38 threads posted in. i didn't even think about mod forums being part of the equation Shocked i just assumed that there were that many new posts in those threads. would only be about 3 new posts per thread, which doesn't seem unreasonable to me considering i didn't come back for about a day or so. it would be nice to know how the count is tallied though Smile

Author: Tom BairLocation: Portland, Oregon USA PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject:
    ----
We suspect this may be a glitch introduced into the forum software from an applied patch/modification procedure. We'll look into it closer as soon as time permits.

Apoligies to all who are distracted by this current 'glitch'.

Author: SidLocation: Kansas PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject:
    ----
PCWriter wrote:
Apoligies to all who are distracted by this current 'glitch'.

Its ok, it just better not happen with the new software package Laughing

Author: Tom BairLocation: Portland, Oregon USA PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject:
    ----
Sid wrote:

Its ok, it just better not happen with the new software package Laughing

No worries there. We have a whole new set of glitches in store for you with the new package... Laughing

Author: SidLocation: Kansas PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject:
    ----
PCWriter wrote:
No worries there. We have a whole new set of glitches in store for you with the new package... Laughing

If the new package ever gets here
Twisted Evil

Author: browolf PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject:
    ----
i noticed yesterday, after i havent been around for a while, it had 7+ pages of new posts, but after page 3 it was saying no posts meet the criteria.

Author: dataLocation: India PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: count of "posts since last visit"
    ----
Eliza wrote:

Which is right? Does the first one include lots of things I can't access like Mod areas or other people's pm's or posts which are subsequently deleted or something weird?

Now you can make a statistical inference of what goes behind the scenes Wink

Author: ShaolinTigerLocation: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject:
    ----
It might be a cookie problem due to the last round of changes in sessions.php but if you are getting the results sounds correct..

It's most likely because the figure you see on the front page is number of posts, when you click that, the search result is number of threads, quite likely there are 5 new posts in 1 new thread.

So if you see 76 new posts on the front page you might end up with only 30 threads that contain new posts.

It's got nothing to do with hidden sections etc. as I can get the same sort of results and I see everything! Rolling Eyes

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject:
    ----
i was checking earlier today (about 10:30-ish CST in the US) and it said three new posts since my last visit, but when i clicked that link there were no new threads to show. Confused i got the "no search matches your criteria" or whatever the message says.

edit: that's 10:30-ish pm

Author: capiLocation: Portugal PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject:
    ----
ShaolinTiger wrote:
It's got nothing to do with hidden sections etc. as I can get the same sort of results and I see everything! Rolling Eyes

You see everything, or so you think... Wink Laughing

Seriously, your explanation does make sense. I think, however, it may be a combination of the two: the post count on the main page shows actual new posts in raw, everywhere, and the one in the newposts thing shows threads with new posts, which you can read.

So, if we post something in one of the restricted zones, it will show as a new post in the main page for moondoggie, but when he goes to the newposts search, it will say "no search matches your criteria" because he doesn't have access to it.

That would explain moondoggie's issue, which I've had myself as well on very rare occasion, usually right after one of the admins was "Posting a new message" as per viewonline.php (hint for the unaware: there's an admin only section lol).

browolf wrote:
i noticed yesterday, after i havent been around for a while, it had 7+ pages of new posts, but after page 3 it was saying no posts meet the criteria.

That may be due to timeout issues. I've had the same happen, where you're starting on page 4 then you work your way back and by the time you're on page 2 you've spent so much time that the search is no more. You can work around it if you change the URL from something like http://www.security-forums.com/forum/search.php?search_id=1704969203&start=0 to just http://www.security-forums.com/forum/search.php?search_id=newposts . It will give you the new post list back, even after you got the "no posts meet the criteria" message, so you can happily go and check out page 2 or page 1 or whatever.

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject:
    ----
actually, if you're using a tabbed browser like any of the mozilla based browsers, you can open each page in a new tab, then work your way backwards from there Wink then there are no timeout issues, and you have all of the new threads to pick and choose from

Networking/Security Forums -> Comments // Problems etc.

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1