server errors causing double posts
Goto page 1, 2  Next  :||:
Networking/Security Forums -> Comments // Problems etc.

Author: AdamVLocation: Leeds, UK PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: server errors causing double posts
    ----
From time to time (maybe twice a day for the last couple of weeks) when I submit a reply I get the following error message:
Code:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, admins@security-forums.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Server at www.security-forums.com Port 80

Usually I hit back, then submit, and end up with two copies, one of which I then delete (usually because I write such long-winded posts I don't want to risk losing it all!)

Not a major PITA but annoying nevertheless, so thought you should know

Author: ShaolinTigerLocation: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject:
    ----
This happens from time to time, it's mainly due to the DDoS prevention mechanisms in place, so if too many people connect at the same time some of the connections are throttled, and you'll get an error.

Author: White ScorpionLocation: The Netherlands PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Quote:
This happens from time to time, it's mainly due to the DDoS prevention mechanisms in place, so if too many people connect at the same time some of the connections are throttled, and you'll get an error.

If too many (legit) users connect to the server you get an error, so if too many zombies connect to the server the legit users will get an error. In this case the attack is successful, so what does it help installing this mechanisms in the first place? Laughing

Author: capiLocation: Portugal PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject:
    ----
You don't really prevent a DDoS, you mitigate it. Yes, connection throttling will not make the site immune to all DDoS attacks. If you manage to throw enough bandwith at a pipe you will flood it, regardless of how big it is. If you look at it that way, there's no point in doing anything at all, is there? Wink

That doesn't mean, however, that mitigation mechanisms can't still be useful; I would say having the site work partially during a flood is still better than just having the site throw up and die Smile

Author: JustinTLocation: Asheville, NC, US / Uberlāndia, MG, Brazil PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: The way I deal with it.
    ----
Generally, when I'm typing a post (which are sometimes lengthy), I copy and paste my progress in a text editor, as I go along. I've learned the hard way. I've also learned that even when the internal server error mess pops up, the post still goes through, so I simply go to the home page, and locate the post. If for some reason it isn't there, I have a saved copy to insert. This way, I save from the browser/server doing something funny and causing me to lose my post, and don't have to bother deleting a duplicate. Albeit an annoying occurrence, this "method" seems to be working efficiently for me!

Author: AdamVLocation: Leeds, UK PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject:
    ----
related to this problem is the ability to delete a post - this functionality seems to have changed several times recently.

A while ago the "delete" button mysteriously disappeared and the "edit" button balloon popup text changed to "edit/delete". However, in edit mode I can find no way to actually delete my post completely.

Then it went back to the old way with a proper X button that did what it said on the tin.

...which has now gone again!

yours frustratedly.
E
<edit>
OK this is annoying now - I can see the X in this particular thread but could not (and still can't) in this thread:
http://www.security-forums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31567
I am viewing both threads right now as tabs in the same Firefox 1.03 session. When I view the link above in IE 6 SP2 I also can't see it.
Is there some sort of rights over which forums allow post deletion and which not?

Author: GiroLocation: England PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject:
    ----
Ive had this before its when someone replys to your post then you cannot delete that post, its to try and keep posts making sense. eg.. You see i can delete this post now but when you reply i cant.

Author: LittleDevilLocation: Lovech, Bulgaria PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: server errors causing double posts
    ----
Eliza wrote:
From time to time (maybe twice a day for the last couple of weeks) when I submit a reply I get the following error message:
Code:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, admins-at-security-forums.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Server at www.security-forums.com Port 80

Usually I hit back, then submit, and end up with two copies, one of which I then delete (usually because I write such long-winded posts I don't want to risk losing it all!)

Not a major PITA but annoying nevertheless, so thought you should know

i`ve got the same problem Sad
and really it will be MUCH better if the forum has DELETE button near Edit and Quote

[edit]
huh i`ve just saw that there is an Delete ( X ) button
[/edit]

Author: couladin127Location: Texas, USA PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject:
    ----
Eliza wrote:
related to this problem is the ability to delete a post - this functionality seems to have changed several times recently.

A while ago the "delete" button mysteriously disappeared and the "edit" button balloon popup text changed to "edit/delete". However, in edit mode I can find no way to actually delete my post completely.

Then it went back to the old way with a proper X button that did what it said on the tin.

...which has now gone again!

yours frustratedly.
E
<edit>
OK this is annoying now - I can see the X in this particular thread but could not (and still can't) in this thread:
http://www.security-forums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31567
I am viewing both threads right now as tabs in the same Firefox 1.03 session. When I view the link above in IE 6 SP2 I also can't see it.
Is there some sort of rights over which forums allow post deletion and which not?

Ok correct me if I'm wrong because I may be thinking of a different forum, but doesn't the ability to delete a post disappear after a half hour?

Author: AdamVLocation: Leeds, UK PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject:
    ----
previously here I have found that I can only delete my post if there are no replies (as stated above by Giro) which makes sense since otherwise it can look like people are talking to themselves. I am happy that if I want to make a retraction I can do so by using an <edit> convention or similar.

I have never noticed a timeout period on this feature, however.

BUT what I am talking about is when a server timeout error causes me to accidentally double post, I would normally just go and delete the second one. This is immediately after the posting and before anyone has a chance to reply.

Totally baffled at the moment.

Author: couladin127Location: Texas, USA PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject:
    ----
You're right, after I posted that I saw the post you were talking about(I hadn't bothered to look before Embarassed ) I'm rather confused as well now.

Author: capiLocation: Portugal PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Regarding deletion, indeed you can only delete your own posts (obviously) and you can only do so until there is a reply below it. To quote from our FAQ:
phpBB FAQ wrote:
How do I edit or delete a post?
Unless you are the board admin or forum moderator you can only edit or delete your own posts. You can edit a post (sometimes for only a limited time after it was made) by clicking the edit button for the relevant post. If someone has already replied to the post, you will find a small piece of text output below the post when you return to the topic that lists the number of times you edited it. This will only appear if no one has replied; it also will not appear if moderators or administrators edit the post (they should leave a message saying what they altered and why). Please note that normal users cannot delete a post once someone has replied.

As far as I am aware there is no timeout on deletion of posts - you should be able to delete your posts at any time, provided that no one has replied to them. Then again it's been a long time since I was a regular member, so I might be mistaken there.

Eliza, what you are describing indeed seems odd, it would look to me as a bug. What happened was you posted something, then posted again by mistake, and when you tried to delete the second post you were unable to do so, correct?

I have deleted your second post, but of course that's not the main point. We will probably have to wait for either ShaolinTiger or chris to say something on the matter, as they are the ones maintaining the site code.

Author: AdamVLocation: Leeds, UK PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject:
    ----
capi wrote:

Eliza, what you are describing indeed seems odd, it would look to me as a bug. What happened was you posted something, then posted again by mistake, and when you tried to delete the second post you were unable to do so, correct?

correct

I thought it had changed then changed back. Now I suspect it relates to which forum the post is in. awaitig further news.

Author: cielLocation: LYON ( FRANCE ) PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Hello,

You will probably hate me because I will just repeat what JustinT already said.

But it seems to me important and maybe important for everybody. As double posts cause double notifications ...

So :

Quote:

I've also learned that even when the internal server error mess pops up, the post still goes through.

I use Firefox and when I want to do a reply to a thread :

- I open the thread (obviously)
- I do a right-click on submit button to chose open the link in a new tabulation.
- I type my message then I copy-paste it into a terminal ( $ cat <ENTER> for example )
Oh It only works for short messages Smile Otherwise I open a text editor .
- I submit and if an error occurs, I refresh the tabulation I kept open, where the thread is, then I can see if my reply has been recorded.

I hope what I said is not too obvious...
It's quite intimidating to reply when you know that people can get notified !

best regards

ciel

Author: AdamVLocation: Leeds, UK PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject:
    ----
ciel
I just realised you probably get the award for most infrequent but persistent member - joined in 2002, visited in Sept 2003, November 2004 and now in Sept 2005 - do you sleep (hibernate) for nine months of the year?

Author: cielLocation: LYON ( FRANCE ) PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Hello,

Eliza :

Quote:

do you sleep (hibernate) for nine months of the year?

Smile No, no, it's not a "suspend to brain" feature ...

It's mainly related to how I use SFDC ..

At the beginning I only wanted to use them to get help for a specific problem I have, not to wander through posts nor
to help someone ...
And I loved finding the solution to my problem on my own, even if I have to spend much time on it ...
When I gave up, I prefered asking to french-speaking channels I frequented and keep fequenting.
And if I was not yet said the solution, I chose to post on SFDC.

Then, I've forgotten my password and my email adress was not valid anymore ...
No, I didn't do so on purpose !
I didn't want to disturb SFDC staff as I didn't want to post yet ....

Finally I asked to and I could retrieve my password thanks to a moderator Smile
If I remember correctly, not so far though, I posted to ask for help about tail -f & perl & netcat .
And I thought It was quite selfish only to use SFDC to ask for help, even if, as you emphasize it,
I keep being an infrequent poster (however, I find I become a nervous poster :s ).

So I started using "View unanswered posts", then, after reading your reply to one post of mine,
I started wandering though forums and I found some posts I could answer to ... Smile
Moreover I begin appreciating this practice, so thank you Smile
</mylife> Razz

ciel

Networking/Security Forums -> Comments // Problems etc.

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  :||:
Page 1 of 2