McAfee Firewall blocks Outlook Express

Networking/Security Forums -> Firewalls // Intrusion Detection - External Security

Author: zaikaLocation: United Kingdom PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: McAfee Firewall blocks Outlook Express
    ----
My server and email provider is Wanadoo (formerly Freeserve). Yesterday, I installed McAfee VirusScan, Firewall Plus and Privacy Service. Without Firewall protection, I can download my emails in Outlook Express - enabled, I cannot. Nevertheless, Outlook Express is definitely allowed full access, and I can send emails.
The Error in OE is typically as follows:
Server 'pop.freeserve.com' Protocol:POP3. server Response: 'X-McAfeeVS-Timeout Protection: 3', Port 110, Secure (SSC) : No, Server Error : 0x800CCC90, Error Number : 0x8000CCC90.
I can view and read my emails from the Wanadoo site, but even there I cannot transfer or junk - only read or delete - with a message of POP BLOCK appearing.
As far as my limited knowledge allows, I reckon I need to allow access to some IP Addresses to rectify this problem.
I do not know the souce IP address associated with Wandoo mail, although my inbound events log identifies several "local" addresses where the event information is logged as a ICMP Ping (whatever that is!) but the locations are local and the information implies an email contact.
Can you direct me on how to re-configure my firewall so that it will work as before please.

Author: sfinks PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: problems wioth Outlook Express???
    ----
I would you like suggest you these programs... Repair Outlook Express
Outlook express repair
Repair express outlook

Author: rjiLocation: UK PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject:
    ----
Ports. See if Mcafee is blocking the mail ports. If Yes open them up

Author: mutu26 PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject:
    ----
My sister told me about her problem with outlook express messages, but unfortunately I couldn't help her. Only today I have found out - open dbx files the good solution to my mind. To my surprise the tool worked out her problems and she thanked me a lot, I hope that this example shows that the tool has other good features for like situation as well.

Author: SecurityTrend PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject:
    ----
rji wrote:
Ports. See if Mcafee is blocking the mail ports. If Yes open them up

I know this has already been mentioned, but I would like to empathize this and encourage you to check McAfee help files and/or your EMail proivider on firewalls.

Networking/Security Forums -> Firewalls // Intrusion Detection - External Security

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1