• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Need encryption advice;

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Cryptographic Software and Hardware

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RC2
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Need encryption advice; Reply with quote

Here is my problem I just had a system stolen from my house with no encryption and it has been a real headache. I bought a new system and bought Mcafee’s file vault for it, I really don’t need to encrypt the entire hard drive just important files.

Here is my question after doing a search on the internet there are many programs out there that promise to break even the toughest password in minutes. So am I fooling myself to think that my data is safe?

Second I could not find a program that would allow me to encrypt the Hard Drive , or a program or file using a USB key. That would allow me to keep the key separate from the computer when not in use. Found plenty of programs that will use a key to allow you to encrypt a program that you create.

RC2
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi RC2,

This has been covered many times before in our forums. Please do a search for "disk encryption" or "truecrypt".

If you want the short version: use TrueCrypt. It's well known, open-source, secure, fast, works with several different operating systems and it does what you ask.
TDSinc
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: Secure HD Reply with quote

PGP has an application to encrypt your HD and USB. So try that.
As to passwords etc., pick a 'passphrase' (proverb, quote, etc. that you can easily remember, but is otherwise uncommon), and salt it up with some symbols/numbers. This will go a long way to making cracking your password more difficult (provided, of course, that you keep it to yourself)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Cryptographic Software and Hardware All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: