• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Have I been hacked?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Exploits // System Weaknesses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marv
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Have I been hacked? Reply with quote

I was viewing a web page on the New York Times site, and suddenly the web page was replaced by another page that started listing trojans that supposedly my computer was infected with. Then a window popped up, saying I should download some security software to remove the trojans. I suspected the popup was a hacker's attempt to fool me, so I clicked on the X in the top right of the window. But the window did not close, instead it popped up a warning with a OK button and a CANCEL button. I clicked on the CANCEL button, but now I'm thinking that no matter what the button says on it, it could be a button that downloads malware.
After I clicked on the button, suddenly my copy of Norton gave a message. The message was that an attack on my computer was blocked.
It is a real weakness of computers that you can be fooled into clicking on a button, and then your $700 computer is infected and now requires complete reinstallation of everything.
But my question is: 1. was I infected even before I clicked on the Cancel button, given that my NY Times webpage changed to a web page listing trojans
and 2. Did my clicking on the CANCEL button make things worse.
Thanks,
Marv
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know if your system was hacked, but you definitely came across some malware through one of the sites you were viewing. if you're worried you can post a log on the "hijack this" part of the forum and someone can better assist you with making sure your system is clean

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Exploits // System Weaknesses All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: