• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Spamming and a spam filer please help?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcgeeek
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Spamming and a spam filer please help? Reply with quote

Hey I am quite concerned and this secion says spam as one of the subcategories so I think this could be the right place to post! I hope this is the right place to post this post,if not I am sorry.

I was wondering where I could buy a spam filter and if someone could explain it to me so I can understand it.
I have been reading some online stuff and I randomly came across:
http://www.pc1news.com/news/0021/spam-being-spread-through-hosted-web-tools.html and I also read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_spam. I am not sure if I understand it that well but know I do need a spam filter?

My question is the following:is there a spam filter I can buy? Or maybe antispam software and will this solve the problem?

thanks alot Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Razz Shocked Question Embarassed
larsmhansen
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for spam filtering for your home e-mail, then there are many options.

Most new versions of Internet security suites from Symantec, McAfee, Trend, AVG and everyone else includes a spam filter component. How good it is, I don't know. I would think this would depend on the configuration.

There are also separate products you can purchase for spam filtering alone. I've been using Cloudmark with great success. It's a subscription service, and you'll pay about $40/year for using it.

Outlook also has built-in spam filtering, which does a decent job at filtering out junk mail.

If you are looking for a corporate solution, there's two options:
1) Host it your self, or
2) Purchase a "sanitizing" service through someone else.

If you go with #1, all the spam will still hit your network, but it'll be stopped before it ends up in the end-users mailbox. There's a couple of different options here; you can either use a stand-alone spam filtering device such as the Barracuda Spam Filter, or you can install some spam filtering software directly on the mail server. With the external option, the spam will never hit your server...

If you opt to purchase the sanitizing service, all your e-mail will be routed through their service, and only the clean mail will be forwarded from them to you.

Hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DavidOptrics
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Spam Solutions Reply with quote

If you're a network admin, and have control over your own network, you can check out www.BarracudaNetworks.ca for spam appliances. Basically "plug and play" and cut down drastically on spam.

A lot of places that don't maybe have their own IT department are choosing a managed service. That's where a service like www.CudaMail.com uses their own redundant spam filter appliances to filter the spam for you.

All mail comes to their filters first, is filtered, and then the cleaned mail is delivered to your server. You also can see any messages that were quarantined, in case there were any false positives.

Some other good resources for anti-spam strategies are:

http://www.spamhaus.org/
http://isc.sans.org/

Good luck with your search.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: