• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Encrypted bookmarks ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
meles meles
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Encrypted bookmarks ? Reply with quote

I use Opera as my browser, preferring it to Internet Exploder and several others I have tried. Is there any way in which bookmarks in Opera can be encrypted so that they are inaccessible to anyone that might gain access to the pc ?
graydentech
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I wouldn't encrypt them but what you could do is set Opera to run under another profile. Twisted Evil
Create a separate profile you won't use with a really hard pw. Then create a shortcut using the runas command runas.exe /u:"insert username here" to the Opera exe. and either put it in the quick launch bar or hell somewhere in the start menu but away from the real Opera shortcut. Then when you run the other shortcut everything you do will be under the other username (history included).
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with a built-in option to encrypt the bookmarks in Opera, however you could achieve this by simply storing your Opera profile inside an encrypted container.

You didn't mention your operating system, but a good solution which works both in Windows and GNU/Linux is TrueCrypt.
Colonel_Panic
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly.
I've been having my Firefox profile inside a TrueCrypt container for a few years now.
meles meles
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: not quite... Reply with quote

We already encrypt our hard disc with Truecrypt so the bookmarks are relatively safe when the pc is not in use. Our interest is in safeguarding the bookmarks when the pc is in use, but perhaps unattended for a short time...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: