• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

How do you use the SFDC forums?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Comments // Problems etc.

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you browse the forum?
default page ie latest posts
23%
 23%  [ 13 ]
posts since last visit
40%
 40%  [ 22 ]
index then forums / threads I am most interested / skilled in
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
using search
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
a mix of these
25%
 25%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 55

AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: How do you use the SFDC forums? Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity really, people seem to have different habits so I thought it might be interesting. Well, maybe to someone.
I have recently found all sorts of useful things by trying to widen the sort of topics I read outside my "normal" safe MS / windows / AD / wireless stuff.
Sid

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummm, i just have it bookmarked as this:

http://www.security-forums.com/forum/index.php

then i browse through each one, even if its unrelated, you still might learn somethin Laughing
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bookmark this:
http://www.security-forums.com/
which has a nicer entry screen with recent posts and some of the announcements etc more obvious. After checking some of these and posts since last visit, I tend to go to unanswered posts if I have not been around for a day or two, then if time allows just wade through from the index, same as you.
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bookmark the home page (same as Eliza), log in, and go to "posts since last visit". Pretty much covers it all. Then I just go on to spend a huge amount of time just watching things, hanging out in the staff zones, checking up on any thread to watch, looking out for any lame cross-spammer that might popup, just basically being "on the job" Wink
Colonel_Panic
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check any interesting posts listed on default page, then 5-6 forums closest to my field/interests. Read other areas during lunch break and weekends...
And if I've been posting, check for replies.
Sgt_B
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this "log in" thing you speak of capi? My laptop is reallly smart, it just remembers my logon credentials! I don't care either since my laptop is unhackable!!! Rolling Eyes

I always hit the main site, then hit the "Forum" link to bring me to the Index.....then since I'm selfish I check the "View your posts" link to see if anyone has responded to my inane chatter. Then I go for the view posts since last visit.
ThePsyko
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt_B wrote:
What is this "log in" thing you speak of capi? My laptop is reallly smart, it just remembers my logon credentials! I don't care either since my laptop is unhackable!!!

*cough* isn't your l|p sgt_b|dogmeat?

I could have sworn that's what I pulled from your swapfile!!

Cool
ryansutton
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three short cut buttons on Firefox, one that links to www.security-forums.com, one for an ego search & a link to the HTJ forum. Wink
White Scorpion
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never bookmark any page. i always keep them in my head and type them in every time i want to go somewhere. This helps me in my memory skills, typing skills and no one can accidentally find those sites if they would ever use my system since the history isn't saved as well. Also i'm keeping my temp inet files clean and most of the times my cookies as well..

now to get to the point Laughing : i always go to http://www.security-forums.com and login. then i click the "post since last visit" and once i finish there i'm looking up my own posts since i could have missed a reply somewhere. Then it's on to the next forum Wink
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got SFDC set as a button on firefox. i just log in, check for unread since last visit and then have a search round for anything that jumps out...... or post for help Wink
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lepricaun wrote:
i never bookmark any page. i always keep them in my head and type them in every time i want to go somewhere. This helps me in my memory skills, typing skills and no one can accidentally find those sites if they would ever use my system since the history isn't saved as well. Also i'm keeping my temp inet files clean and most of the times my cookies as well..

I would say you enjoy unnecessary effort Wink Laughing

Just thought I'd add that I do use a Firefox button for SFDC, naturally (that was the bookmark I was talking about). Comes in very handy, that button bar thingy.
ryansutton
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea I almost forget, SFDC is my homepage too so anytime I open my browser I am looking at the main SFDC page. This site truly is the best forum I have ever been a member of.

~Ryan
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get to the SFDC Main Page from my own website since I may be using any of 5 or 6 computers to log in from. Then I click on FORUM and first check PM's, then any new messages.

Then the real work begins... Smile
White Scorpion
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would say you enjoy unnecessary effort Wink Laughing
Well i did use them in the past, but i've found that since i am reinstalling my system almost every 2 weeks that i always forgot to save the favorites before i did. This was really irritating since i always had to search for my favorite sites since i didn't remember the addresses. So i decided to start typing them in everytime i want to visit. Now when i reinstall i always remember my favorite sites. Luckely for me there are only about a dozen sites i visit regulary so it really isn't that hard to keep track of it. Once i started to type everything by head i decided it would have some other benefits as well like increasing memory capabilities and typing skills. So without keeping a file or folder where my shortcuts are located i decided to keep it like this since it would improve security as well...

Since i've done this so often it now takes me only a second or so to type the address and it would take me just as much for clicking a link so it really isn't any trouble anymore... Laughing
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another added benefit is that you can check in on your dozen favorite sites from any PC connected to the Internet. That's gotta be handy for something!
snootalope
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaulk another up for a link in firefox to the main page.. Cool

been that way for a couple years now.....hmmm, maybe it's time for a change huh?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Comments // Problems etc. All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: